Tuesday, April 2, 2013
Hiding the reservation
Because Whitney Young is so diverse, I do not think that students hide a lot of their reservation unless they think or know that their economic status is extremely far behind from their peers', because no matter what you do in life, I think economic status plays a big role in how people judge you. I think we at Whitney Young are less judging than other more neighborhood schools may be, but there is judgment nonetheless. I do not think that students really hide the fact that they are poorer or have more money than others, but try to avoid talking about it so they do not feel like they deserve special treatment or are seen as snobby. Another thing I notice is that many students of nonwhite decent try to hide or make less noticeable the quirks that may bring racist stereotypes upon them. Even though the school is so diverse, I feel students stick more with others of the same race because they are more accepting of each other than multiracial groups may be because of cultural differences.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment