Sunday, March 3, 2013

Protest Song

We Shall Overcome

We Shall Overcome by 
We shall overcome, we shall overcome,
We shall overcome someday;
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe,
We shall overcome someday.

The Lord will see us through, The Lord will see us through,
The Lord will see us through someday;
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe,
We shall overcome someday.

We're on to victory, We're on to victory,
We're on to victory someday;
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe,
We're on to victory someday.

We'll walk hand in hand, we'll walk hand in hand,
We'll walk hand in hand someday;
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe,
We'll walk hand in hand someday.

We are not afraid, we are not afraid,
We are not afraid today;
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe,
We are not afraid today.

The truth shall make us free, the truth shall make us free,
The truth shall make us free someday;
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe,
The truth shall make us free someday.

We shall live in peace, we shall live in peace,
We shall live in peace someday;
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe,
We shall live in peace someday.


              “We Shall Overcome” is a song protesting the unfair treatment of African Americans and was sung during the African-American Civil Rights Movement. This song tells of the dreams of non-violent civil rights activists fighting for equality between the white and black races. The line “We are not afraid today” describes the passion for which the protesters were fighting, and their bravery, courage, and determination to express how they felt about racism. They were not scared to rebel and try to get their way, and this song shows how much they believed that their ideal peace between the two races would eventually come. By repeating the line “Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe…” in each verse, the songwriter expresses his desire for equality and how he is sure that his vision will one day become a reality. With their fights, the protesters are making this idea of overcoming racism a reality by striving for the victory mentioned in the song.
                A symbol used in this song is in the line “We'll walk hand in hand someday.” This vision is not only about literally walking with someone of the other race whilst holding hands and not being judged, but is a symbol of the protesters’ ideal results in finally finding success in gaining equality. The meaning of “walking hand in hand” here is a sign of the cooperation, agreement, and fairness that was yearned for in the making of this song. This is a symbol of the ideal results of the Civil Rights Movement because the first three verses of the song talk about how, with the help of God, ignorance shall be overcome and the fighters will be lead to victory. The next verses talk about what will happen once the African Americans do win, and part of achieving their freedom is being able to “…Walk hand in hand someday.”
                I chose this song because I like the history that came with its creation. It was derived from an early gospel song and then was changed around and taught to many civil rights activists over time to help fight for their cause. I am glad that these activists chose to fight peacefully and helped spread the song’s popularity through these protests, where it would eventually become an anthem of the Civil Rights Movement.
384 Words

No comments:

Post a Comment